Coffman Prize -- The Society for Military History First Manuscript Prize
The Society for Military History First-Manuscript Prize is awarded annually to an author who has not previously published a scholarly book-length manuscript. The competition is open to scholars whose work blends military history with social, political, economic, and diplomatic history and to authors of studies centering on campaigns, leaders, technology, and doctrine.
The winning author receives a cash award, a plaque, and, after successful editorial review, a publication contract with the University of North Carolina Press. The Coffman Prize will be awarded at the Society for Military History's annual conference in Louisville, KY on April 7, 2018.
- The author must be a member in good standing of the Society for Military History.
- Only English-language manuscripts will be considered; U.S. citizenship is not required.
- The text of a submitted manuscript must be at least 250 pages in length.
- Translations are not eligible for consideration unless the author both translated and annotated the manuscript.
- It is recommended that recently-defended dissertations be revised with publication in mind, before authors submit them for consideration.
- Manuscripts under consideration by other presses may be entered into this competition, but if the work is accepted for publication elsewhere during the Prize Committee's deliberations, the author is obligated to notify the committee chair immediately.
- The author must submit (in digital form) a full manuscript, a 3-5-page précis of the same, and a current curriculum vitae to Beth Bailey, chair of the 2018 Coffman Prize Committee, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The précis must include a statement of the work's thesis and conclusions, its place in the relevant historiography, and any new or underutilized primary source materials or innovative methodologies that shape it.
- All submissions must be double-spaced and submitted in PDF format.
- The Committee will designate the winner on or about March 5, 2018.
- The Society for Military History will present the Coffman Prize at the 2017 Annual Meeting of the Society, April 5—8, 2018, in Louisville, KY.
Prof. Beth Bailey
Department of History
University of Kansas